Skip to main content

Full text of "Byzantine Churches In Constantinople"

See other formats


CHAPTER XXII   '
BOGDAN   SERAI
IN a vacant lot of ground on the eastern declivity of the hill above the quarter of Balat, and at a short distance to the east of a mass of rock known as Kesme Kaya, stands a Byzantine chapel to which the name Bogdan Serai clings. Although now degraded to the uses of a cow-house it retains considerable interest. Its name recalls the fact that the building once formed the private chapel attached to the residence of the envoys of the hospodars of Moldavia (in Turkish Bogdan) at the Sublime Porte ; just as the style Vlach Serai given to the church of the Virgin, lower down the hill and nearer the Golden Horn3 is derived from the residence of the envoys of the Wallachian hospodars with which that church was connected. According to Hypse-lantes/ the Moldavian residence was erected early in the sixteenth century by Teutal Longophetes5 the envoy who presented the submission of his country to Suleiman the Magnificent at Buda in 1516, when the Sultan was on his way to the siege of Vienna. Upon the return of Suleiman to Constantinople the hospodar of the principality came in person to the capital to pay tributes and to be Invested in his office with the insignia of two horse-tails, a fur coat, and the head-dress of a commander in the corps of janissaries. Gerlach2 gives another account of the matter. According to his informants, the mansion belonged originally to a certain Raoul, who had emigrated to Russia in 1518, and after his death was purchased by Michael Cantacuzene as a
1 Herd, rty #Xwo-o>, p. 61 ; cf. Paspates, p. 361.               2 Tagebuch^ p. 456,
280